By Veronica Mercado
My family has a history of heart disease, so eating food that supports heart health has become a major priority. The heart is a powerful muscular organ that is at the center of ourselves. It is the center of the cardiovascular system, pumping blood through the body, transporting gases and hormones, supplying oxygen and nutrients to tissues and removing waste. If the heart is not able to supply blood to the organs, the organs cannot survive. The heart is 60 times greater electrically and up to 5,000 times stronger magnetically than the brain. For all the heart does for us, below is a delicious recipe that supports you heart health!
Spicy Strawberry Avocado Salad
- 2 cups Spinach (anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, promotes vision supports bone health)
- 1 Avocado, sliced (promote heart health, blood sugar regulation, anti-cancer benefits)
- 1 cup Strawberry, sliced (promote heart health, blood sugar balance, healthy aging)
- 6 tablespoon pumpkin seeds (antioxidant support, blood sugar balance, antimicrobial)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne (helps prevent blood clots, digestive system, detox support)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (anti-inflammatory, heart health, digestive system, reduces risk of cancer)
- 2 teaspoon honey (anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, promotes heart health, reduce cough irritation)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (antioxidant and promotes heart health)
Whisk olive oil, honey, and lemon juice. Mix pumpkin seeds and cayenne to dressing mix. Place spinach in large bowl and top with avocado and strawberry slices. Pour dressing to salad. Toss everything together and eat/joy.
Recipe Inspired by my soul sister Soultree (artist, community collaborator, holistic healer) check Soultree on Facebook Soultree @SoultreeSounds.
About Vero- gardener, teacher for Eco Urban Gardens, healer, student of Holistic Nutrition at Energetic Health Institute.